Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

This is 30! Reflecting on My 20s


As I am entering my 30s I am reflecting back on my 20s and some of the things I have learned. I am in no way perfect and am constantly working on bettering myself. Man, I have gotten to do a lot in my 20s and have accomplished so much. I am eternally grateful for everything. Let's Do This 30s!!

Work hard. Hard work pays off. I have paid my dues in so many ways and continue to. I have worked so hard in this thing we call life and have reaped the benefits of hard work on many occasions. I will continue to work hard for Bryan, myself and others.
Love like never before. For me I grew up where my family said "I love you" a lot and it freaks me out if I don't say it to my loved ones when I end a conversation because I always think "what if this is the last time I talk to them. Tell others you love them before it's too late.
Be strong. You will be placed in many uncomfortable and heartbreaking situations in your 20s and you have to be strong for yourself and the ones around you. I know I can handle a lot, but I can't always handle everything and do the best I know how to. Others will want to tear you down, but you NEED to be strong. This too shall pass.
Be vulnerable. This is one of the scariest things because you are putting yourself out there, but it is something you need to do to be a great leader. I owe most of what I have learned about vulnerability to Breńe Brown. She was a professor at UH where I went to college and has written numerous books, publications, etc. She been has been all over the internet and t.v. talking about vulnerability for years and I've learned so much from here. It's ok to be vulnerable.
Take a break. This is something that I have learned to do more of this last year. Even though I don't like spending money on services or doing some things, I have learned sometimes you just need to take a break and do something for yourself. Whether this is going to the museum, getting a pedicure, having reflexology, etc. For me this is becoming more of a necessity and a process of taking care of myself.
Don't give up. I have been told no I don't know how many times, but if I really want something I keep pushing for it. Persistence often pays off, but not always. Either way don't give up. There will be many road blocks along the way and you just have to figure out the proper ways to get around them. Never give up.
Be kind. You never know what others are going through so be kind. Try to give others the benefit of the doubt. Kindness can do wonders. I know I am not always on my kindness game, but I truly do try to be kind most of the time.
Apologize to others. If you know you are wrong, do the right thing and apologize. Others will respect you more if you can admit to your mistakes and you will definitely feel better inside. This has been hard for me, but I am slowly learning to do it more, especially with my husband.
Be you. It is so much better to be your authentic self. If someone doesn't like you that is OK. Don't be fake. Not everyone will like you, but why hide behind something that is not you and doesn't embrace your values?
Choose happiness. There is something to be said about happiness. Do what you love and makes you happy. This helps with stress and your overall health. Sadness happens, but don't let is get the best of you. Be around be people who make you happy.
Some things aren't worth putting up the fight for. Pick your battles. If you don't, you will end up a very stressed out person.
Not everyone is nice. You will learn this pretty quickly. Even when you want to think the best of people, some just don't have good intentions and bring bad energy, which you don't need. On the flip side there are so many more good people rather than bad. Weed the bad people out of your life and set yourself free.
Forced to be an extrovert. I am still totally an introvert, but have been forced to be in extrovert with my business. I have to put myself out there in order to grow.
Work / Life Balance, what is that? You will search for it and you probably will never find it. You just need to do what is right for you. I try to balance the best that I can and will always try to find the "perfect" balance. I have also had to let go of that ideal in a way as well.
Learn new things. Always be open to learning new things. I learn daily from life, my family, my clients, etc. Knowledge is power and there is soooooo much out there to learn about. Go learn something new!
Therapy is not a bad thing. If you need to go to therapy GO. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Therapists are great to talk to about whatever is on your mind and they can offer so many helpful tips.
Sleep is awesome! Going to bed early is AMAZING! I still don't get all the sleep I need all the time, but man does it feel good when I do. I have shifted my focus more on taking care of myself than trying to burn the midnight oil all the time.
People change. I have learned to change in more ways than ever before in my 20s. I look at things differently now than I did in my early 20s. I have changed a great deal and continue to grow and change. I was immersed into "real world" situations at a very young age and have had to be the change I want to see in myself.
Ask for help. When I was younger I wanted people to think I could do everything on my own and have always been very independent, but the fact of the matter is that you just sometimes need help.
Losing weight gets harder. In my late 20s loosing weight has been sooooo hard. I can't just stop eating a particular food group for the week and loose weight. I have to really work on changing my eating habits and exercising.
Exercising is a must. For me to ultimately feel like my best self, exercise is a must. I LOVE yoga and various group exercise classes. I know my being consistent about exercising and being active will benefit me in the long run.
There is rarely a "right time". You will say I will do this or that when the time is right, but the truth is there is rarely a right time to do anything. Things will happen at the worse possible times, but you keep truckin'. You will say "I'll do this at a better time", but then life throws you curve balls you didn't expect. Just roll with it.
Have fun!!!!!!

Some of the top things I have done in my 20s, the good and the bad:

Personal:
  • Met my husband. I honestly couldn't ask for a more loving, hardworking, patient, wonderful, perfect soul than Bryan. We are completely opposite, but he keeps me grounded and in check. He is my sounding board in life and I don't know what I would do without him.
  • Married my husband. My best friend, partner, teammate, lover, and just extraordinary man.
  • Graduated with my bachelors and masters with no loans. Man, this was hard.
  • Got a brand new car. Seriously, I never thought this would happen.
  • Moved out of the city and bought a house with my husband.
  • Traveled to a lot of new places including Honduras, Virgin Islands, Europe, cities all throughout the US, etc. 
  • Experienced heartache like never before. Dying sucks. Cancer sucks. 
  • Stressed out more than I ever thought I would.
  • I have learned many new skills and have taken all kinds of new classes. 
  • Met lots of great people and built great relationships.
  • Became afraid of flying. This happened after a horrible plane ride back from Boston, but I still face my fears. 
  • Have gone through tough financial times. We have given up a lot through the years and this makes me appreciate my life so much more. 
  • Volunteered for awesome organizations and on lots of projects.

Business:
  • Built my business up. 
  • Built amazing relationships with my many of my clients, which I am so thankful for.
  • Became a certified Women's Business Enterprise (WBE) and a Women Owned Small Business (WOSB).
  • Collaborated with many businesses. 
  • Have been featured in awesome publications. New York Times, Houston Chronicle, Real Simple Magazine, and several blogs. 
  • I have added and subtracted services to my business to be more focused on what I like to do.
  • Shared an awesome office space in the heart Downtown Houston. 
  • Became a member of various organization like GHCVB. 
  • Got my real estate license.
  • Became a Notary.
  • Became a Certified Travel Ambassador (CTA).
  • Became a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT).
  • Becoming an approved vendor for Super Bowl 51.
  • Gotten to teach classes. 
  • Met great people.
*I changed the photo that I originally published with this post. This photo is shortly after I turned 30 at the Renaissance Festival and my aunt Kellie made these gorgeous flower crowns for the ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment